Use of ‘Habit’ Is not a Habit in Understanding Individual Technology Adoption: A Review of UTAUT2 Based Empirical Studies - Archive ouverte HAL Access content directly
Conference Papers Year : 2019

Use of ‘Habit’ Is not a Habit in Understanding Individual Technology Adoption: A Review of UTAUT2 Based Empirical Studies

(1) , (1) , (1)
1
Kuttimani Tamilmani
  • Function : Author
  • PersonId : 1030977
Nripendra P. Rana
  • Function : Author
  • PersonId : 999514

Abstract

‘Habit’ was the most important theoretical addition into UTAUT2 to challenge the role of behavioural intention as a lone predictor of technology use. However, systematic review and meta-analysis of Price value the other UTAUT2 additional construct revealed major inconsistency of the model with just 41% UTAUT2 based studies including the construct in their research. Thus, the aim of this research is to understand the appropriateness of ‘habit’ construct usage among UTAUT2 based empirical studies and their reason for omission or inclusion. The findings from 66 empirical studies revealed only 23 studies a meagre (35%) utilised ‘habit’ construct and the remaining massive 43 studies (65%) excluded the construct from their research model. The major reason for studies not including “habit” construct was they were examining users of new technology at early stage of adoption where sufficient time hasn’t elapsed for users to form habit. Moreover this study caution the use of experience as an alternative for habit. Since experience can be gained under mandatory settings which is not sufficient enough to form habit that occurs more naturally under voluntary settings. This study also provided number of recommendations for theory and practice based on the findings.
Fichier principal
Vignette du fichier
476633_1_En_19_Chapter.pdf (456.5 Ko) Télécharger le fichier
Origin : Files produced by the author(s)
Loading...

Dates and versions

hal-02068947 , version 1 (15-03-2019)

Licence

Attribution - CC BY 4.0

Identifiers

Cite

Kuttimani Tamilmani, Nripendra P. Rana, Yogesh K. Dwivedi. Use of ‘Habit’ Is not a Habit in Understanding Individual Technology Adoption: A Review of UTAUT2 Based Empirical Studies. International Working Conference on Transfer and Diffusion of IT (TDIT), Jun 2018, Portsmouth, United Kingdom. pp.277-294, ⟨10.1007/978-3-030-04315-5_19⟩. ⟨hal-02068947⟩
107 View
20 Download

Altmetric

Share

Gmail Facebook Twitter LinkedIn More